What your dentist in Jonesboro wants you to know
As a parent, you want to take care of your child’s needs, and that includes dental visits. That’s because your child is at risk of developing tooth decay the minute the first tooth erupts. In fact, the recommendation for a first dental visit is when your child’s first tooth erupts, and at least within the first year, whichever comes first.
But what about between dental visits; what should you look out for? There are some commons signs and symptoms your child may have a cavity. Dr. Emily Gairhan at Gairhan Dental Care in Jonesboro, AR wants to share the facts about cavities.
Your child can have a cavity and may or may not feel pain. If your child does feel pain, the pain will usually occur when:
- Your child bites down
- Your child eats something sweet
- Your child eats hot or cold foods
Some of the common non-painful signs and symptoms of tooth decay include:
- White spots on your child’s teeth
- Brown or black stains on your child’s teeth
- Cracks, holes or other defects on your child’s teeth
Cavities are caused by harmful bacteria contained in the plaque on your child’s teeth. These bacteria produce toxins that mix with the sugars in your child’s food, producing a strong acid. This acid gradually eats through tough tooth enamel, causing a cavity.
There are some simple tips to prevent tooth decay. Remember to:
- Avoid putting your child to bed with a bottle of juice, milk or other sugary liquid.
- Make sure your child takes fluoride supplements if you live in an area without fluoridated water.
- Teach your child to brush after meals and before bed.
- Start teaching your child to floss at around 4 years old.
- Be sure to schedule regular dental exams including x-rays once each year.
- Be sure to schedule regular dental cleanings every 6 months.
You don’t have to deal with your child’s dental health all by yourself. Your dentist is ready to help. For more information on children’s dentistry and dental health, call Dr. Gairhan at Gairhan Dental Care in Jonesboro, AR. Call today!