Crowns cover up teeth that have undergone restorative procedures and that have certain defects, like cracks. Your dentist in Jonesboro, AR, Dr. Emily Gairhan, is more than happy to provide patients with crowns and tell them more about their benefits.
Crowns are porcelain covers that:
- conceal unattractive teeth
- reinforce teeth and
- protect restorative procedures, like root canals
The procedure is simple. It only takes two to three visits:
- Your dentist numbs the area the crown will be placed.
- The dentist makes takes an impression of your teeth then sends it to a lab where a technician creates custom-made crowns.
- You are given a temporary crown and make another appointment with your Jonesboro dentist.
- Your dentist shapes/restructures the tooth to fit under the crown.
- If little tooth structure is left your dentist builds it up with filling material that should support the crown.
- The permanent crown is attached with resin that hardens when exposed to a special light source.
In order to take proper care of your natural teeth and crowns, you need to brush twice a day and floss, at the very least, once before bed. This dental regimen reduces risk of dental decay, as well as eating healthier. Avoid sugary foods that contain acid-producing bacteria that eat away at your teeth.
Bi-annual dental appointments are another great preventative measure. Your dentist will give you a dental exam to ensure there aren't any issues and give you a professional cleaning.
If you suffer from bruxism, it's a good idea to wear a mouth guard or splints to increase your crown's lifespan.
For more information on dental crowns, don't hesitate to contact Dr. Emily Gairhan in Jonesboro, AR, as soon as possible.