Posts for: October, 2016
Welcome to the Blog of Southwest Dr Jonesboro, AR
Whether you are an existing patient or searching for a dentist in the Jonesboro, AR area, we’re excited you are here. With the dental industry advancing, we recognize the importance of keeping our patients and visitors up to date with all of the new and exciting things taking place in our practice.
As we move forward with our blog, we hope to promote dental awareness as a vital part of your healthy lifestyle. Here you will find a variety of articles and topics including dental news, advancements in dental technology and treatments, practical oral health advice and updates from our practice.
We hope you find our blog to be helpful, engaging and informational to ensure your best dental health.
As always, feel free to contact our Southwest Dr Jonesboro, AR office with any dental questions or concerns.
-- Southwest Dr Jonesboro, AR
Adopt healthy eating habits for good oral health.
When it comes to keeping your teeth and gums healthy, brushing and flossing each day will of course ensure the best results; however, this isn’t all you can do. What we eat also has an impact on our smiles. Follow these healthy habits between dental cleanings to nurture your smile.
- Crunchy foods: Foods such as nuts and carrots help stimulate the production of saliva, which helps to neutralize acids that damage your tooth’s enamel and cause cavities. So munch on a healthy lunch full of crisp, healthy celery to help protect your teeth!
- Dairy: You’ve probably already heard this, but milk and cheese are wonderful for your teeth. For our bones to stay strong, they need a steady supply of calcium. Furthermore, the protein found in dairy products can also prevent cavities from forming.
- Water: While water might not sound like the most exciting choice, drinking enough water each day will not only provide you with ample energy, but also prevent bad breath and cavities. This is particularly important for those who experience dry mouth, which can cause cavities and other unpleasant oral health issues. It’s recommended that you drink half your weight in ounces of water to stay properly hydrated throughout the day.
- Yogurt: One study found that those who consumed yogurt had healthier gums. It may have something to do with the probiotics found in this creamy breakfast food; however, the study also found that yogurt killed the bacteria that is known to cause bad breath.
- Garlic, cocoa and nutmeg: These spices don’t just add wonderful flavor to our foods but they also contain a chemical that helps fight cavity-producing bacteria from sticking to your teeth. If you want to keep gum disease and decay at bay, start adding more of these spices to your daily intake.
While following these eating do’s and don’ts will certainly go a long way to sustaining a clean smile, you still need to see your dentist every six months for a routine exam and cleaning. If it’s time for your next dental visit, then call our office today!