Have you been wondering when your child should begin regular dental visits? Our Jonesboro, AR, children's dentist, Dr. Emily Gairhan, explains when visits should start and discusses why regular visits are important.
What's the right age for the first dental appointment?
In the past, first dental visits didn't routinely occur until a child was about three and had all of his or her primary teeth. Today, earlier visits are the norm. In fact, children should visit the dentist within six months after the eruption of the first tooth or at one year of age at the latest, according to American Dental Association guidelines.
How can regular dental visits protect my child's teeth?
Visiting the dentist offers several important benefits, including:
Cavity Detection: Treating cavities is important, whether they occur in primary or secondary teeth. When your child makes regular visits to our Jonesboro office, we can detect tooth decay promptly. If you've been waiting for all of your child's teeth to erupt to make an appointment, tooth decay can cause significant damage to a tooth or even spread to other teeth while you wait. Losing a tooth due to decay, even if it's a primary tooth, can be a problem. Primary teeth are space holders for secondary teeth. If your child loses a tooth, other teeth may begin to drift, decreasing the space available for the eruption of the secondary tooth.
Fluoride and Sealant Treatments: During visits, we may recommend that your child receive fluoride or sealant treatment. Applying liquid fluoride to the teeth strengthens the tooth enamel, while sealants fill in little nooks and crannies in the pre-molars and molars. Both treatments help your children avoid cavities.
Less Dental Anxiety: A visit to a dental office can be a little scary for children, even if the staff are friendly and gentle. When your child begins visiting the dentist at a young age, he or she quickly becomes accustomed to the sights and sounds of the dental office and begins to form positive relationships with the staff.
It's never too late to begin dental visits for you child. If you would like to make an appointment, call our Jonesboro, AR, children's dentist, Dr. Gairhan, at (870) 931-1100.
Dentists use dental crowns to help patients restore and strengthen their smiles. Over time, a tooth can weaken from aging, wear and tear, or injury. Crowns form a strong barrier around the inner parts of a tooth to keep it firmly rooted and healthy. Learn more about crowns and how Dr. Emily Gairhan at Gairhan Dental Care in Jonesboro, AR, can successfully incorporate one or more crowns into your smile.
What Are Dental Crowns?
A crown is a dental implement that mimics the appearance and function of the outer enamel of a tooth. Modern crowns are usually made of porcelain because it is both durable and attractive. Before placing a crown, your Jonesboro dentist must first remove the damaged enamel from the affected tooth. An impression is taken of the new shape of your tooth so that a custom crown can be fashioned to fit over it. The crown is securely joined to the surface with a very strong dental-grade bonding agent.
The Importance of Keeping Your Teeth Strong
Crowns are often used in root canal procedures to cover up lost enamel. Covering the damaged tooth gives it a chance to heal and get stronger. It’s important to keep both the inner and outer parts of your tooth strong if you want to avoid tooth extraction or loss in the future.
Additional Benefits of Crowns
Crowns don't only have functional benefits -- they can also make your smile look aesthetically better. For instance, some patients struggle with intrinsic (inner layer) tooth staining that doesn't respond to professional whitening procedures. A crown will cover up that flaw and stay white for many years. Some patients also get crowns when they have teeth that are too small, causing unsightly gaps.
Repair, Strengthen, and Beautify Your Smile
Dr. Emily Gairhan is a Jonesboro, AR, cosmetic dentist who is happy to restore her patients’ smiles with crowns and other dental treatment. The sooner you talk to Dr. Gairhan about dental crowns, the sooner you can have a stronger and better-looking smile. Call (870) 931-1100 today to schedule an appointment.
Are you ready to find out about the many wonderful advantages that porcelain veneers can offer?
Cosmetic dentistry has truly come a long way over the decades. Whether someone is looking to make minor adjustments or major makeovers, our Jonesboro, AR, dentist, Dr. Emily Gairhan, has the treatments you’ve been looking for. Dental veneers have become such a popular cosmetic option because they can simply and painlessly change the color or shape of your smile through uniquely crafted porcelain shells.
When people think of veneers they may immediately picture big bulky restorations that will make your smile appear fake, but this is simply not true. Our Jonesboro cosmetic dentist knows exactly how to give you a beautiful smile through dental veneers that will look natural and attractive. Most people will not even know that you have veneers (unless, of course, you want to tell them!).
Getting veneers will mean that you will team up with Dr. Gairhan to figure out what issues you want to address with these cosmetic restorations and how you want your smile to look after treatment. Giving you a smile you are proud of is our goal and we can talk you through the entire process to make sure that you are getting exactly what you want.
Veneers are placed over the front of your teeth using a special dental cement. It usually takes anywhere from two to three visits to get your new smile. We take pride in the work that we do and so rushing to get your dental veneers done in just one visit just won’t give you the stellar results we know you are looking for. Fortunately, great things are worth the wait!
Once some enamel has been filed down from the front of your teeth we will need to take impressions of your smile. These impressions will provide a basis for our dental lab to help them create veneers that will fit perfectly over your teeth to hide imperfections like gaps, stains, cracks and other cosmetic issues.
Once your veneers are made, then it’s time to adhere them to the front of your teeth with special medical-grade cement. A laser is then used to harden the cement so that your veneers are permanently bonded to your teeth.
With the proper care, your veneers could last up to 10 years before needing to be replaced. That’s a long time to enjoy your beautiful new smile!
Getting dental veneers is pretty easy once you find out that you are an ideal candidate for treatment. Call Gairhan Dental Care in Jonesboro, AR, today to schedule your initial consultation. Let’s find out what dental veneers can do for you!
Have you been considering Botox treatment but aren't sure if it's the right choice for you? Dr. Emily Gairhan, your Jonesboro, AR dentist, discusses the treatment process and explains how Botox can help minimize fine lines and wrinkles.
What is Botox?
Botox, derived from the botulinum toxin, helps smooth out the lines and wrinkles that form when you make facial expressions. The injections prevent nerve impulses from reaching your facial muscles, allowing them to relax. When the muscles are relaxed, the skin above them becomes smoother, and lines and wrinkles disappear or become less obvious.
How can Botox help me?
Botox injections are often used to:
- Make "11" Lines Less Noticeable: Botox injections offer an excellent way to minimize the appearance of the vertical lines that develop between your eyes.
- Reduce Forehead Furrows: Botox also smooths out horizontal lines that form on your forehead.
- Smooth Crow's Feet: Laugh lines around your eyes can make you look older than you feel. Botox injections make those lines less obvious.
- Improve Nasiolabial Fold Lines: As you age, the lines between your nose and mouth become more pronounced. Softening and smoothing the nasiolabial fold lines with Botox injections rejuvenates and refreshes your appearance.
- Make Neck Bands Less Prominent: After Botox injections, your face may look younger, but your neck can still give away your age. Botox provides an effective way to treat neck bands and wrinkles.
- Relieve Pain: Botox injections are often used to relieve TMJ pain and prevent migraines.
Why do Jonesboro dentists offer Botox?
Dentists routinely work with the area that extends from the forehead to the chin and have extensive experience injecting this area. Dr. Gairhan has also received specialized training from the American Academy of Facial Esthetics for both Botox injections and dermal fillers.
What happens during Botox treatment?
Before you receive your injections, Dr. Gairhan will numb your skin with a topical anesthetic. Depending on the number of injections you need, the entire treatment may take 10 minutes or less. After the injections, you can return to your normal activities immediately. It takes a little while for the injections to take effect, but in just under a week, you'll begin to notice a difference in your appearance. Follow up treatments every three to six months will help you maintain your results.
Enjoy a more youthful appearance with Botox injections. Call Dr. Gairhan, your Jonesboro, AR dentist, at (870) 931-1100 to schedule your appointment.
Adopt healthy eating habits for good oral health.
When it comes to keeping your teeth and gums healthy, brushing and flossing each day will of course ensure the best results; however, this isn’t all you can do. What we eat also has an impact on our smiles. Follow these healthy habits between dental cleanings to nurture your smile.
- Crunchy foods: Foods such as nuts and carrots help stimulate the production of saliva, which helps to neutralize acids that damage your tooth’s enamel and cause cavities. So munch on a healthy lunch full of crisp, healthy celery to help protect your teeth!
- Dairy: You’ve probably already heard this, but milk and cheese are wonderful for your teeth. For our bones to stay strong, they need a steady supply of calcium. Furthermore, the protein found in dairy products can also prevent cavities from forming.
- Water: While water might not sound like the most exciting choice, drinking enough water each day will not only provide you with ample energy, but also prevent bad breath and cavities. This is particularly important for those who experience dry mouth, which can cause cavities and other unpleasant oral health issues. It’s recommended that you drink half your weight in ounces of water to stay properly hydrated throughout the day.
- Yogurt: One study found that those who consumed yogurt had healthier gums. It may have something to do with the probiotics found in this creamy breakfast food; however, the study also found that yogurt killed the bacteria that is known to cause bad breath.
- Garlic, cocoa and nutmeg: These spices don’t just add wonderful flavor to our foods but they also contain a chemical that helps fight cavity-producing bacteria from sticking to your teeth. If you want to keep gum disease and decay at bay, start adding more of these spices to your daily intake.
While following these eating do’s and don’ts will certainly go a long way to sustaining a clean smile, you still need to see your dentist every six months for a routine exam and cleaning. If it’s time for your next dental visit, then call our office today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.